“Phishing” & “Vishing”
‘Phishing’: This is where people receive emails directing them to a website where they are asked to provide confidential, personal or financial information. Whilst these emails may appear to come from a legitimate site, these emails are designed to steal your personal information which can then be used to access your accounts. This is known as ‘phishing’
‘Vishing’ This involves a fraudster making phone calls to a victim, posing as bank staff, the police or other officials, and companies in a position of trust.
This call may be made to coerce the victim into:
- sending their money to another account for ‘safe keeping’ or ‘holding’
- withdrawing cash and handing it over to the fraudster for investigation
- giving personal financial information, which can then be used to access their victim’s finances
- Don’t be afraid to terminate the call and say no to requests for information.
- Never share your security details with a third party. It is important to keep your account and security details safe.